This last week I have spent many hours on Ebay researching the Keepall B 45, my dream luggage. I have done research after research on this topic in hopes to purchase an authentic one. However, it takes time and energy to go through and compare bags to originals but here are some tips that will hopefully help you, as they have me!
– “D” rings. Authentic Louis Vuitton uses “D” shaped rings on the majority of their bags. (See here)
– Capitalization. If it is an older bag, (before the early 90’s), the “f” in france, will be LOWERCASE. In the newer bags, the “F” is capitalized.
– See where it’s made. If anywhere on the bag, (luggage tag, stamp, etc) it solely says ‘Louis Vuitton’, it is not legitimate. A bag will always say ‘LOUIS VUITTON, PARIS, made in France. Also, Louis Vuitton DID make purses elsewhere. There is a Louis Vuitton line from the USA, and Spain as well.
– Know the product. Check on the actual Louis Vuitton site to make sure the product actually exists. For example, Louis Vuitton did not make a multicolor backpack.
– The font. If the two T’s on Vuitton touch, the bag is not authentic. Also, the “O’ on Louis, need to be almost perfectly rounded.
– Stitching. The stitching on the bag is VERY important. Louis Vuitton is a high-quality name and no authentic bag will have backstitching, stitching from the outside of the bag running through the inside, uneven stitching, or anything else that looks low quality. Also, all Louis Vuitton items will have yellow threading coated in beeswax.
– Examine the monogram placement on the bag. The LV will always line up and most of the time the logo will be in the middle down the bag between the two handles. However, there are a few exceptions to his (A couple of the Keepall’s and a few others)
All of this being said, the most important thing to remember is that Louis Vuitton is a top notch brand and wouldn’t make anything less, so if a bag or wallet seems cheap or low quality, it’s fake.
Also, these are tips primarily for purchasing online. Most of the bags on Ebay are fake, and if they claim to be from an “outlet”, they are also fake. Purchasing through Louis Vuitton is the only way to confirm 100% that the bag is authentic.